Gramma Beokman’s original recipe left the quantities up to the chef’s discretion. It included cream of chicken soup instead of beef broth, parsley, garlic, and directions like “a few” mushrooms. Since it had the potential to lead to culinary disasters for most of us, this recipe is from Gramma Dorothy.
- 1 tablespoon chopped onions or 2, if desired
- 1 1/2 pounds steak sirloin, or fillet of beef, sliced thin
- 1 can beef broth or 1/4 cup red wine
- 2/3 pound sliced mushrooms more or less
- salt and pepper
- sour cream 1/2 cup to a cup, as desired
- 3 tablespoons butter or more if needed
- flour if desired
Cook beef in butter until brown, stirring (beef can be rolled in flour if desired).
Cook mushrooms and onions in butter.
If you're using flour
Add beef to mushrooms,
Add 2 tablespoons more flour
Add broth and cook, stirring, until thickened,
Simmer 3 minutes.
If using wine (and no flour)
Add beef to mushroos, heating briefly.
Then for both,
Add sour cream. Don't boil!
Serve over egg noodles.